- Dish type
- Side dish
- Vegetable side dishes
- Courgette side dishes
This is an extremely popular Mexican side dish. So good, in fact, that Mexicans often double the recipe and eat this as a main with warm tortillas.
76 people made this
- 375g fresh sweetcorn kernels
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 450g courgette, sliced
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 fresh poblano chilli or long green pepper - seeded, deveined and chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons crumbled cotija cheese
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:30min ›Ready in:50min
- Place the sweetcorn in a saucepan with enough water to cover; bring to the boil. Place a cover on the saucepan, reduce heat to medium, and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat; cook and stir the onion and garlic in the hot oil until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Mix the courgette and tomato into the onion and garlic; cook together 5 minutes. Stir the sweetcorn kernels into the mixture; add the green pepper. Season with salt and pepper; stir. Cover the frying pan with a lid and cook until the courgette is tender, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with the cotija cheese to serve.
Cotija is a sharp, hard Mexican grating cheese. If you can't find cotija, use Parmesan, Pecorino Romano or Mizithra (a hard Greek grating cheese).
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(107)
Reviews in English (80)
Easy to make, lovely blend of flavours and textures and so colourful too. This has become my favourite courgette dish!-26 Jul 2017
very yummy and easy to make-13 Oct 2010
cotija is a mexican cheese that is white and crumbly, similar to feta - i would try that if you can't find cotija!-09 May 2010