- Dish type
- Boiled sweets
This is a fabulous and popular coconut sweet from the Dutch Antilles, which is very easy to make. There are only five ingredients needed to make this tropical treat.
6 people made this
- 1 whole coconut, shelled and drained
- 250ml water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:10min ›Extra time:1hr cooling › Ready in:1hr25min
- Chop the coconut meat into pieces about 1cm square.
- Place water in a saucepan, and bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Stir in cinnamon and sugar until dissolved. Boil mixture until liquid reduces to a syrup consistency, then stir in coconut pieces. Add the lime juice, and turn off heat.
- Place spoonfuls of sugared coconut mixture into small paper cups. Cool in cups until hardened.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(6)
Reviews in English (3)
Sweet but not too sweet! I love the cinnamon-lime combination. The crunch of the coconut mingles nicely with the sticky syrup! I'll be making this again!-07 Dec 2010
I have been trying to find a recipe my grandmother had which was for coconut candies. This was the closest I could find. It was not the same as what she used to make but it was still very good. We ended up eating all of them in one sitting! BTW, I did not need a cup of water. About a half-cup worked.-22 Jul 2009
I increased the amount of cinnamon but otherwise this recipe is delicious. I had gotten a coconut just to drink the milk but I didn't want to waste the meat and this recipe was perfect, next time I buy a coconut it will be for this recipe!!!! Love it.-25 Jun 2014